Centre for Integrated Rural Development
India lives in villages and Development of village means development of the country. The Centre for Integrated Rural Development of Banaras Hindu University was established in 1980 in reponses to the National Programme of Integrated Rural Development, initiated in 1979 by the Government of India.
IRDP is committed to inter organizational collaboration and works to establish links between organizations concerned with rural development both in India and abroad.
Structure and membership:
The Centre is recognized unit of Banaras Hindu University and is under the Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences in conjunction with other related departments of the University.
The Centre is funded through a small allocation created out of the University Maintenance Grant and from inputs received from the relevant Faculties and Departments. The development of the potential capacities of the Centre and its programme vital to rural development, requires a stronger funding base and support.
Development of a Model village:
On the request of the then C.M. of U.P. Mr. V.P.Singh, the IRDP Centre took the challenge for the development of a model village of Bhisampur (Chakia block) During the period of two years i.e. 1982-84 all the developmental activities were implemented. It was not a easy task to seek the cooperation of each & every department of U.P.Govt. but however, It was made possible. Presently due to unavailability of transportation & other supporting resources, the Centre for IRDP has been withdrawn it self from grass root level programs
Result Oriented Action Programme:
Centre for I.R.D. has developed a unique Educational Package of Rural Health through Cultivation, Collection & Procurement of Locally available Herbs. � Gram Banaushadhi Utpadan Sahkari Samittee� is functing sine 1987 in Amoli village of Chiraigaon Block under the supervision of I.R.D.P.
M.A. in Integrated Rural Development Management (MAIRDM)
Certificate course in Knitting and tailoring (only for poor women from rural areas- under community development)
CENTRE RELATED ACTIVITIES
Result Oriented Action Programme
Centre for I.R.D. has developed a unique Educational Package of Rural Health through Cultivation, Collection & Procurement of Locally available Herbs. "Gram Banaushadhi Utpadan Sahkari Samittee" is functing sine 1987 in Amoli village of Chiraigaon Block under the supervision of I.R.D.P.
Since its inception the Centre used to organize Seminar & workshops on a variety of relevant topics. Moreover sometimes it also organizes 'Kishan Mela and Gosthi' in collaboration and co-operation with different grass root organizations.
Women Empowerment Training Program:
A yearly program to make the women self reliant & self sufficient through cutting, knitting & tailoring is being performed by the Centre since inception of the Centre earlier till 2003 the program was also extended to several nearby villages and generated a wide empowerment of different class of women and female children.
Herbal Cultivation Training Program:
A yearly program of the Centre is in continuation. This is a biweekly training program. The trainees from different blocks of different district attend the classes. During the training period trainees prepared some valuable items for daily use like Chayavanprash, Herbal Tea, Oil, Churna etc. Till date through this program around 1000 persons has been trained. Most of them are self employed in their own concerned areas of living. The program is highly effective popular and well appreciated by all.
SMARTH GRAM ABHIYAN
स्वावलम्बी गाँव - समर्थ भारत
Banaras Hindu University has adopted 100 villages of Kashi Vidya Peeth Block, Varanasi to make these villages self sustained in the area of Literacy, Cleanliness, Health, Environment, Animal Health, Water Resource Management, and Plantation.
The vision of the programme is to share new technology in the area of organic farming, to promote organic farming and to make aware the farmers to reduce chemical fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides by personal door – to –door contact, public chaupals and social media.
• Literacy and Promotion of digital literacy in the rural areas
• Human Health
• Sharing of new technology in the area of Organic farming: To promote organic farming and to make farmers aware to reduce the use of chemical fertiliser
• Rain water harvesting and water resource management
• Environmental Awareness: Plantation (fruit plants)
• Animal health and promotion of Animal
• Promote digital literacy in the rural areas
• Kitchen Garden
• Legal Issues
Nature of problem address:
• Illiteracy among farmers in the villages of Kashi Vidya Peeth Block, Varanasi.
• Use of chemical fertilisers, pesticides, insecticides adversely affected human health and animal health in the villages of Kashi Vidya Peeth Block, Varanasi.
• Due to lack of proper sanitation and cleanliness various epidemic and mosquito generated epidemic diseases spread in the villages of Kashi Vidya Peeth Block, Varanasi.
• Degradation of environment due to cutting of green trees.
• Scarcity of clean water in the villages.
Details of external Activities:
• Students, Faculty members and subject experts visited in rural areas and conducted a base line survey related to the households and villages. 80 students of IRDP, students of Career Counselling RGSC, BHU and Research scholars participated in this survey work.
• Hundred plants of Mango, Aonla and Lemmon were distributed to the households and Doctors of Veterinary sciences gave suggestions to the dairy owners as well as farmers.
• Experts' team visited to the villages for repo build up and also make BHU friends for the training and workshops and other advices.
• BHU invited approximately 1000 villagers to the university campus under SAMARTH GRAM ABIYAN.
• We invited experts from National Centre of Organic Farming, Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Government of India.
• An interaction session with farmers were conducted by the team members of National Centre of Organic Farming in the programme on dated 04/12/2016.
• High quality seeds of different vegetables distributed to the farmers.
• Free Medical checkups like blood pressure, blood sugar, blood group, ENT and Eyes etc.
• Experts from the Ayurveda gave suggestions to the villagers.
• Villagers advised on the issues of Digital literacy.
• Free animal health related medical advised given to the farmers.
• On 27 January, 2017 Dental Health Camp, Plantation of fifty plants and distribution of 500 packets of 500 seeds for kitchen garden and awareness on programme on literacy was conducted in the village- Madopur and Muradev, Kashi Vidy Peeth Block of Varanasi Districts
• On 02 February, 2017 Medical Health Camp, Plantation of fifty plants and distribution of 500 packets of 500 seeds for kitchen garden and awareness on programme on literacy was conducted in the village- Tarapur and Narotampur, Kashi Vidy Peeth Block of Varanasi Districts
• On 04 February, 2017 Animal Health Camp in the village- Saghat Kashi Vidy Peeth Block of Varanasi Districts
Chief Co-ordinator/Directors of Centre for Integrated Rural Development
Prof. R. P. Pathak
Director and Professor in Political Science
CENTRE FOR INTEGRATED RURAL DEVELOPMENT
Dr. Alok Kumar Pandey
CENTRE FOR INTEGRATED RURAL DEVELOPMENT